A HOUSE WITH TRADITION
The Zwergschlösschen was built around 1870 in the former craftsmen settlement, Untermhaus. It was opened as early as 1891 by the family Anton Fritz as a day trip and wine destination. At that time, the historic half-timbered house served as a shelter in which travellers and citizens could rent rooms and small apartments. The restaurant was in the adjoining building.
From 1949, Gera was under Soviet administration and the medical staff of the Russian hospital inhabited the Zwergschlösschen.
In 1979, the building became a guesthouse of the Free German Trade Union Confederation after long demolition and reconstruction work. Walli Werner, grandmother of today`s owner, was employed as a manager. In 1981, her daughter Renate Lips, together with her husband Hans Lips, also began to work at the Zwergschlösschen.
With the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, they rented the Zwergschlösschen and opened a Pension.
In 1992, they acquired the property, and so began a new family investment. It was not long before their daughter returned home and joined them in the family business in 1993.